Product Information & Size Chart
7, 8 or 9 Shaku Red Oak 'Juji' Cross-Shape Yari
Made in Japan (Kyushu region)
Available woods: Red Oak
Length: 7 Shaku (212.1 cm), 8 Shaku (242.4 cm) or 9 Shaku (272.7 cm)
Cross section width: 20 cm
Finish: urethane varnish
Wooden spear made of Japanese red oak, available in 3 different lengths. The cross-shaped wooden "blade" has a width of about 20 cm and the shaft features a diameter of 34 mm towards the Tsuka (handle) and 25 mm at the socket.
The most classic/standard length for this version is 9 Shaku .
The Juji Yari or "cross-shape spear", (spear featuring the shape of the Kanji of the number 10), is a type of Yari presenting a cross about 20 cm from the tip. It was designed to divert the opponent's weapon or spike him from behind while pulling back the spear.
Sojutsu, the art of the spear, is usually integrated in a larger curriculum in many old Koryu. However, the shape and length of the spear can vary greatly depending on the school, or the type of practice.
The Juji, (cross-shaped) Yari is still in use in Saburi Ryu Sojutsu (YouTube) and Owarikan Ryu Sojutsu (YouTube).
Usually, the cross part is glued onto the Yari, however, due to our limitations in package size, we will ship the cross part unmounted (you simply have to slide it through the hole and use wood glue to fix it).
Please note that because the Yari does not fit into our engraving machine, this model cannot be engraved.
- Choice of wood species: red oak
- Diameter: Tsuka: 35 mm / Socket: 25 mm
- Available finish: Urethane varnish
Manufacturing workshop: Horinouchi for all models
- YARI CAN ONLY BE SHIPPED THROUGH UPS/FEDEX (Includes North America and Western Europe). Please consult the "Shipping & Delivery Information" page to check if the Yari can be shipped to your country. All orders placed with a delivery address in any other country will be automatically cancelled.
Classic Yari - Weight Wood Ichiikashi (Red Oak) 7 Shaku ~1,500 g 8 Shaku ~1,700 g 9 Shaku ~1,900 g
* Weapons are all handmade, therefore color and weight vary from one weapon to another.