Due to the closing of the Horinouchi workshop in September 2019, the remaining 3 workshops are under heavy stress, as they never experienced before. Therefore, we are currently not able to guarantee the displayed shipping date estimation for this product and variations in both direction (shipping earlier than announced or slight delays) are to be expected.
Product Information & Size Chart
6, 7, 8 or 9 Shaku Red Oak Classic Shape Su Yari
Made in Japan (Kyushu region)
Available woods: Red Oak
Length: 6 Shaku (181.8 cm), 7 Shaku (212.1 cm), 8 Shaku (242.4 cm) or 9 Shaku (272.7 cm)
Blade length: 34 cm
Finish: urethane varnish
Wooden spear made of Japanese red oak, available in 4 different lengths. The Su Yari model shaft features a diameter of 30 mm towards the Tsuka (handle) and 24 mm at the socket.
The typical length for this version is 9 Shaku.
This is the model we would recommend for Jukendo and Aikido practitioners who would like to do some technical research on their techniques.
The Su Yari, (basic, standard spear) in Japanese, features one of the oldest and most simple shapes, commonly used in ancient Japan. It imitates a classic straight double edged blade on a long shaft.
Sojutsu, the art of the spear, is often part of a larger curriculum in old Koryu. However, the shape and length of the spear can vary greatly depending on the school, or the type of practice.
The Su Yari version is still in use in Saburi Ryu Sojutsu (YouTube) and Owarikan Ryu Sojutsu (YouTube).
Please note that because the Yari does not fit into our engraving machine, this model cannot be engraved.
- Choice of wood species: red oak
- Diameter: Tsuka: 30 mm / Socket: 25 mm
- Available finish: Urethane varnish
Manufacturing workshop: Aramaki for all models
- YARI CAN ONLY BE SHIPPED THROUGH UPS/FEDEX (Includes North America and Western Europe). Please consult the "Shipping & Delivery Information" page to check if the Yari can be shipped to your country. All orders placed with a delivery address in any other country will be automatically cancelled.
Su Yari - Weight Wood Ichiikashi (Red Oak) 6 Shaku ~1,000 g 7 Shaku ~1,150 g 8 Shaku ~1,300 g 9 Shaku ~1,500 g
* Weapons are all handmade, therefore color and weight vary from one weapon to another.